Route Map

Mission

The mission of this trip is to explore, through a multitude of lenses, what it means to be on the road and develop the tools with which I can effectively share this experience with others.

Throughout this journey, I will photo document, journal, report on, and share with others, what it is that I am doing in this great big world of ours.

In a grand attempt to culminate my college experience, I will be taking 18 credits, live on my bicycle for 4 months covering thousands of miles, and run my second 100 miler, all while practicing focus and awareness in order to more fully develop my connection to the world that I live in. I will be living up to Sterling College's mission statement: The Sterling College community combines structured academic study with experiential challenges and plain hard work to build responsible problem solvers who become stewards of the environment as they pursue productive lives.

Friday, June 5, 2015

Working hard in the prairies.

Hey all, it`s been a bit since I`ve posted. Spirits have drastically improved since. I am laying low in a KOA campground in middle of nowhere southern South Dakota just off of Interstate 90 (which I`ve been cruising on all day).

I have gone 690 miles in the last 6 days, essentially, i`m killing it! and having a blast while doing so. I`m having my first real bike trouble though, wore through my first tire, replaced it,and now my spokes are blowing on my rear wheel. 3 have blown since yesterday. the nearest bike hop is 110-115 miles from me and it`s on the other side of the badlands. It`s gonna be a real hairy adventure.

When the third spoke broke, my wheel was wobbling so bad that i had to take apart my rear brake so that the wobble doesnt hit the brake. But now i`m showered and fed, its as if it doesnt matter at all now, I`ll worry about it tomorrow.

Recap of mileage:
Madison, Wisconsin to Luana, IA-122 miles
Luana to Garner (IA) - 135
Garner to Boyden - 128
Boyden to Sioux Falls, SD - 65
Sioux Falls, SD to Chamberlain, SD - 146 (Longest ride yet)
Chamberlain to KOA, 1880 town (old western town East Belvidere, SD)- 100


We`ll see how far I can get tomorrow. If I get to Rapid City, where the bike shop is, I will be on the edge of the Black Hills with enough time to kill that you know I have to see what the hills are like.

With much love, a growing smile, and suprisingly my legs aren` that sore...
Fare well!

No comments:

Post a Comment