Route Map

Mission

The mission of this trip is to explore, through a multitude of lenses, what it means to be on the road and develop the tools with which I can effectively share this experience with others.

Throughout this journey, I will photo document, journal, report on, and share with others, what it is that I am doing in this great big world of ours.

In a grand attempt to culminate my college experience, I will be taking 18 credits, live on my bicycle for 4 months covering thousands of miles, and run my second 100 miler, all while practicing focus and awareness in order to more fully develop my connection to the world that I live in. I will be living up to Sterling College's mission statement: The Sterling College community combines structured academic study with experiential challenges and plain hard work to build responsible problem solvers who become stewards of the environment as they pursue productive lives.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

3 Cr, 3xx Applied Science, Trip Planning and Logistics

Lance Parker
Summer, 2015
3 Credits, AS 3xx

Trip Planning and Logistics

A narrative description of the project, including: study plan, detailed weekly schedule, learning objectives, and supporting activities

Through the course of this study, I will create detailed plans for a solo multi-thousand mile bicycle tour. While doing so, I will analyze, assess, and improve what I have for gear to suit the needs of my trip. 

After planning the route, gear, and equipment, I will leave the Sterling campus on my bicycle. I will make my way through the first two thirds of the country and find myself having biked over 2400 miles and be in the Big Horn Mountain National Forest. 

Schedule:
May 5-10: Intensive Route planning, gear acquisition, logistics.
Create a gear list. Have copies of my planned route (Dates and where). Bicycle equipment. 
May 10th: Depart from Sterling College
May 10th - June 18th: Bicycle west (>2400 miles)to the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming.
arrival in the BHM National Forest Between June 13th and June 18th.

Some learning objectives include:

Practice and develop trip planning skills
Learn from others who have done bicycle tours
Establish an understanding of the unforeseeable (be preemptive to avoid mistakes)
Gain insight into common gear lists and trip plans of others (crazyguyonabike.com)
Develop a thorough understanding of the most necessary pieces of equipment and gear
Self-design a route that is specific to my needs
Aid in culminating my senior work with a well-established, smart, achievable but ambitious trip plan.

Resources to be used *

John Zaber – His personal experience with bicycle touring
The bicycle touring class – Budget, risk management, etc…
Local bicycle store to help ensure my bike is ready – Power Play Sports, Morrisville, VT
Bike touring : the Sierra Club guide to travel on two wheels - Bridge, Raymond; Lencicki, John.
Community members who have connections throughout the country. 
Google Earth and Google Maps
Crazyguyonabike.com – A bicycle touring online forum with detailed trips and gear lists from others

Specific products of the study *

Design of an extended solo trip via bicycle. Including but not limited to:
·         Route plan with a rationale for how I selected the route and why, miles per day, total mileage, rest days, etc...
·         Specific destinations with notes on sites of interest, resources, people to stay with;
·         Creation of a gear list that pertains to my specific needs for this specific trip, including bike maintenance kit;
·         Notes on gear that would be helpful in planning a trip with clients, for example, preferable types of bikes, recommended safety equipment, recommended weight to carry, styles of panniers, panniers versus trailers, etc.
·         A plan for food consumption: including nutritional needs anticipated on a daily basis, dietary preferences, caloric needs per day, costs, sources of food along the way, and specific food ideas to meet the demands of the above parameters;
·         A risk management plan including:
o    Communication plan should I be injured or ill, have serious bike trouble, or need to change plans for other reasons; what kind of communication I will rely on; who you would contact.  How does your communication plan differ from what it would be if I were leading a trip?  What phone numbers I will have with me.
o    What first aid supplies I will carry and what I would carry if I were leading a trip.
o    Safety equipment.
o    Other aspects of a risk management plan that you would prepare if I were leading a trip with clients.

Continual use of the tool of reflection throughout the trip to assess and evaluate my initial trip plan with regards to distances, resources along the way (people, town or state parks, great places to camp, good sources for healthy food, public libraries, etc…), planning for rest days, hazards along the road, problems with the route.


Method of evaluation and assessment * 
My advisor seeing, evaluating and giving feedback on my trip plan and gear plan.  
An assessment of my journaling throughout the trip (which will be mailed to my advisor) 
and on a final reflection paper on the trip as a whole through the lens of planning and logistics.
50%   Trip Plan:
-Risk management plan (effectiveness and sufficiency)
-Route feasibility (Possibility/probability for me; e.g. time and distance)
-Sufficient planning (enough places to stay, accuracy of budget, road choice)
-Notes on what would look differently if I were with a group of clients
-Adequate food plan

30%   Gear Plan:
-Bicycle repair kit (sufficiency)
-Camping gear (choices and why)
-Bicycle (quality, likelihood of surviving the trip)
-What would change if I were with a group of clients (e.g. what types of bikes, different gear, etc…)

20%   Final Reflection Paper:
-Analysis, assessment of the trip plan, its effectiveness and sufficiency.
-Improvements that would be made if I were to do the same trip
-What went well?
-Now what? Where/how can I take this experience further?

Mail, phone and email will be my primary means of keeping in contact. 

Description of how the Independent Study fits into an overall degree plan
As an outdoor educator I will need to know that I can create detailed plans for trips so that I can create safe, meaningful experiences for other people. This study will help me build these skills to a degree that I have yet to be able to practice. This will be an incredible learning opportunity in regards to planning a trip, partaking in the trip, and then reflecting on the plan and enactment of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment