Route Map

Mission

The mission of this trip is to explore, through a multitude of lenses, what it means to be on the road and develop the tools with which I can effectively share this experience with others.

Throughout this journey, I will photo document, journal, report on, and share with others, what it is that I am doing in this great big world of ours.

In a grand attempt to culminate my college experience, I will be taking 18 credits, live on my bicycle for 4 months covering thousands of miles, and run my second 100 miler, all while practicing focus and awareness in order to more fully develop my connection to the world that I live in. I will be living up to Sterling College's mission statement: The Sterling College community combines structured academic study with experiential challenges and plain hard work to build responsible problem solvers who become stewards of the environment as they pursue productive lives.

Friday, May 15, 2015

First "zero day".

Hey all, again from East Aurora, NY.
The lovely family supporting me here offered me to stay an extra day in their home on their farm, I couldn't turn them down. Anyways, there 4 and 5 year old girls are the sweetest kids around and it's fantastic to be connecting with people after the lonely time on the bike.

Talked to a couple folks at the local bike shop and it looks like my ride along Lake Erie tomorrow, is beautiful and flat (after the last few days of biking those 2 things actually mean the same thing).

In 2 days I'll be in Cleveland 180+miles from here so two 90 mile days from here.

The family here, Amy, (Beth Pecoraro's sister) and her husband and kids are just wonderful people, feeding me, giving me a place to sleep, a place to shower, and my laundry is even clean! And at that I've got a second night here. There truly are amazing people wherever you go, so long as you go there with good intentions.

My rest day today was much needed after all of the large hills, my body feels good and I feel ready for the next leg of the trip. Through areas of the country I've never been close to.

Route 20 in New York, the route I've taken across the state from the Saratoga Springs area, is rich in history. It began as a native american trail, there are historical signs in just about every town stating its significance as an old indian town, or as a colonial town. After Europeans came to the area, it eventually became paved and then became the original Thru-way for the state, connecting Albany and Buffalo. And now the Interstate takes its place and rt 20 is left as a slightly lesser traveled town running right through the history of the indian trail, magnificent stuff.

Well, it's time for bed. I'll see more computers and you'll see more of my writing and progress. Pictures to come soon.

Happy trails, With much love, and slightly less sore legs,

-Lance Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment