Route Map

Mission

The mission of this trip is to explore, through a multitude of lenses, what it means to be on the road and develop the tools with which I can effectively share this experience with others.

Throughout this journey, I will photo document, journal, report on, and share with others, what it is that I am doing in this great big world of ours.

In a grand attempt to culminate my college experience, I will be taking 18 credits, live on my bicycle for 4 months covering thousands of miles, and run my second 100 miler, all while practicing focus and awareness in order to more fully develop my connection to the world that I live in. I will be living up to Sterling College's mission statement: The Sterling College community combines structured academic study with experiential challenges and plain hard work to build responsible problem solvers who become stewards of the environment as they pursue productive lives.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

From the Finger Lakes!

Greetings!
From the beautiful town of Skaneateles, New York.

If you think riding in Vermont is hard, bike west on NY Rt 20! Up, and down, up and down, up and down, that's my new mantra. not to mention the 20 mph headwind that's kicking my butt. I'm here in the library taking a break.

The first 2 days were hot, and excellent. I got a flat and broke my speedometer. Geoffrey joined me for probably almost 180 miles, and now I've gone that by myself. I'm in the thick of it, that's for sure.

Yesterday was my longest ride ever, reaching somewhere between 105 and 110 miles. I spent last night at the home of Ross Morgan's father, Sewell. Excellent guy, 95 years old and he made me dinner and breakfast, and gave my a bed to sleep in.

Today, when I left Sewell's home, it was 40 degrees, raining, and there was a steady 20 mph headwind with gusts probably reaching 25, maybe greater. It goes without saying that my morning was one of the hardest morning's I've ever had. I'm glad it's not raining anymore, but I do need to get back on the road.

Well take care everyone, I'll leave you with the last thing Geoff told me before we parted ways:

"Remember why you're doing this: For the freedom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment